Tip: This section should include your thesis sentence and will determine if you are for or against gay marriage.
Seed - Starting Sentence Option 1: Gay marriage is a [controversial/polarizing/contentious] topic that has been in the news [quite frequently/very often/a lot] lately. Gay marriage [is/is not] a threat to heterosexual marriages and I [feel/believe] that [state your belief here].
Seed - Starting Sentence Option 2: [Unfortunately/Fortunately], gay marriage is being legalized in some areas. While it’s a [controversial/difficult/questionable] decision, the ruling is one that some, including myself, are [happy/upset] about. Gay marriage is [state your belief].
- Banning gay marriage is discrimination and classification of human beings based on value.
- According to the 14th Amendment in the US Constitution, all people are to be considered equal, which would also apply to marriage.
- Traditionally, marriage is between a man and a woman and this should not be changed.
- Marriage is meant to be for procreation. As gay couples cannot physically reproduce, they have no reason to marry.
The Vatican’s Views on Homosexual Marriages
Marriage Equality Facts
Family Research Council
20 Ideas For Writing An Opinion Essay On Gay Marriage
When it comes to gay marriage and same-sex relationships, there are many controversial topics that you may wish to discuss. As a result, it can be an excellent topic when it comes to writing an opinion essay. Essentially, an opinion essay - often otherwise known as an argumentative or persuasive paper - will require you to put forward a range of opinions and ideas that you have in a persuasive manner. To give you some idea of the things that you can write about, the following outlines 20 titles.
- Children should be taught about homosexuality in school so as to help minimize discrimination within society
- Individuals who discriminate against homosexuals due to religious reasons should be prosecuted
- Gay couples should have equal rights in relation to marriage as opposite sex couples
- People in gay marriages should not be allowed to adopt children
- It is the quality of parenting, not the sexuality of parents, that determines how well a child is raised
- The Catholic Church is wrong not to allow gay marriage
- People who are against gay marriage belong in a different century
- People have no right to object to gay marriage
- If you do not agree with gay marriage then do not marry someone of the same sex
- Gay people should not be allowed to get married until they are at least 21
- If gay marriage is allowed then that opens the possibility for other immoral relationships to be legally recognized
- The fact that it took until 2015 for gay marriage to be recognized in the United States demonstrates that the country is not as civilized as it thinks it is
- Sanctions should be placed upon countries that fail to recognize gay marriage or otherwise discriminate against people as a result of their sexuality
- Gay marriage should be depicted more on television
- There should be nothing unusual about gay marriage being discussed and depicted in films and TV shows
- By failing to include gay couples in advertising, many businesses are in directly discriminating against gay marriage
- Young people are more understanding of gay marriage than older generations
- Gay marriage should not even be an issue in the 21st century; it should simply be accepted as normal
- Gay marriages are more likely to fail in comparison with opposite sex marriages
- Gay marriage is unnatural and should not be legal