Are you looking for good psychology papers topics? Look through the list of our ideas and find really good topic for your academic paper. Starting your search of subjects, take into consideration your supervisor’s guidelines. Talking about general psychology, you can choose the topic from the whole course. In some other cases, for example abnormal psychology, you can be assigned to write academic paper, concerning specific subject – psychological disorder, etc.
General Psychology Papers Topics
General psychology is a wide sphere of knowledge and the writer has a great opportunity to choose among the great selection of ideas. Picking up psychology papers topics, it is necessary to pay attention to some general idea and then narrow it down. Some of the most common ideas include:
- Albert Bandura’s social cognitive theory and its observational learning. (check here: AP Psychology Paper Sample: Albert Bandura)
- Psychology of games: What is the secret of the popularity of Pokemon Go? (check here: Psychology Papers: The One about Pokémon Go)
- Psychological manipulation of consciousness and methods of protection. (check here: Advertising Essay Sample: People’s Psychology Manipulation)
- Psychological features of professional restaurant business work. (check here: Psychology Paper Sample: Restaurants)
- Protective methods in psychodiagnostic testing: Hand Test, Rorschach test and Lüscher color test. (check here: Psychology Essay: The Rorschach Test)
- Experiment as a method of psychological research and its ethical problems. (check here: Psychology Essay Example: Failed Experiments)
- Compulsive buying disorder: The psychology of sales. (check here: Psychology Behind Love For The Black Friday)
- Psychology of needs: How does Maslow’s Pyramid works? (check here: Psychology Essay Sample: Maslow’s Concept)
- Contradictions of the Muslim religion and classical psychology. (check here: College Essay Samples: The One about Muslim Students)
- The dark side of human personality and its measures. (check here: Sample Essay Writing: Dark Personality)
Abnormal Psychology Papers Topics
The abnormal psychology itself deals with abnormal behavior and other disorders and academic papers topics on psychology usually deal with them and their treatment. For example:
- The diagnosis of attention in children with disabilities.
- Mechanisms of psychological protection of drug addicts and their relationship with personality traits.
- Pathological study of cognitive processes in organic brain lesions.
- Methods of diagnosis of specific personality disorders among young people.
- Psychological model of social anxiety disorder. Diagnosis and treatment.
- Violation of the basic components of cognitive activity in young men and women with schizophrenic disorders.
- Features of the course of circular depressions in patients with concomitant personality disorder.
- Depressive disorder with generalized anxiety. Diagnosis and treatment.
- The influence of hereditary factors in the formation of depressive disorders in children and adolescents.
- Clinical features of a recurrent depressive disorder in the cases of multiple sclerosis.
- Differential diagnosis and treatment of depressive disorders in women during menopause.
- Factors influencing the clinic and treating depressive disorders.
- Theoretical analysis of the mechanisms of the emotional Stroop effect.
- Perfectionism and satisfaction with body image in the personality structure of patients with eating disorders and alimentary obesity.
- The use of group art therapy in the complex hospital treatment of patients suffering from severe mental disorders.
- System of psychotherapy for family disadaptation in men and women with personality disorders.
- Approaches to complex therapy of panic disorder. Treatment options.
- Personal features in the mechanisms of the pathogenesis of a panic disorder.
- The occurrence of nocturnal panic attacks and their connection with depressive disorders.
- Psychological protection in children of mothers with personality disorders.
Developmental Psychology Papers Topics
This field of psychology deals with the lifespan of the person, so there is no need to worry about the variety of topics. Just make sure yourself:
- Determination of levels of understanding of the child on the experiments connected with the Piaget phenomenon.
- Development of reflective judgment and moral judgment.
- Role games as a means of developing psychological competence in adolescence.
- Diagnosis of child giftedness in early ontogeny.
- Analysis of reasons why children are fighting.
- The concept of aggression and the causes of its manifestation in children.
- Development of self-confidence in middle childhood (from 7 to 11 years).
- History and causes of dyslexia. A review of various modern methods of diagnosis and correction of dyslexia.
- The psychological status of a person subjected to abuse in the family.
- Prevention of child suicides and their relationship to family conflicts.
- Peculiarities of personal development and aggressive behavior of adolescent boys from single-parent families.
- Personal determinants of parenthood: paternity and masculinity.
- Gender roles: positive and negative impact on family relationships.
- How the roles of men and women have changed in society.
- Influence of mass media on the formation of the child’s personality.
- Features of mental and psychosexual development of persons who have experienced sexual violence.
- Psychological features that precede the formation of homosexuality.
- Moral development stages. Heinz’s Dilemma “Greedy Apothecary” or “Hack a Pharmacy?”
- Personal and social-emotional development in late adulthood (old age).
- Behavioral and emotional characteristics of adolescents from divorced families.
Cognitive Psychology Papers Topics
Among the most recommended cognitive psychology papers topics are:
- Cognitive psychology of coping with loneliness.
- Comparison of early Buddhism and concepts of cognitive psychology.
- Cognitive styles and impulsivity among gamers with different levels of gaming activity.
- Social expectations for gifted children from the standpoint of cognitive psychology.
- Manifestation of the cognitive unconscious in the phenomenon of overconfidence.
- Behavioral and cognitive impact of the media on adolescents.
- The influence of music on the cognitive development of children of primary school age.
- Art-therapeutic methods and techniques in socio-psychological training.
- Emotional responsiveness: content and methods of development.
- The natural and social components of empathy and altruism.
- The diagnostic and therapeutic importance of medical empathy in psychiatry.
- Features of cognitive development of preschool children.
- The role of attention in the development of cognitive processes.
- Influence of power loads of different directions on the properties of short-term memory.
- Psychology of metacognitive processes of personality and its intricate relation with cognition.
- Psychological mechanisms of the “Deja vu” effect.
- Mental images of higher orders: the word as sounding and as meaning.
- Paramnesia: Cryptomnesia, false memory syndrome and confabulation.
- Cognitive psychology: the theory of the dual process of thinking.
- Psychology of decision making, or how we make choices.
Now, you can see there is no need to worry about psychology papers topics, as their variety is great. Writers can choose something really interesting to write about, according to their tastes and preferences.
Psychology Papers Topics: Help
Are you looking for psychology papers help and don’t know what to start with? We can help you. All you have to do, just to place an order on EssayShark.com and within the particular deadline term you’ll receive high-quality academic paper for reasonable price. Thousands of customers place orders every year and are completely satisfied with the company’s service.
Wondering if we can write a psychology essay? Of course, we can! Experienced writers can do anything you ask them to, no matter whether it is a paper, book or movie review or even a lab report! Just tell them your topic, discipline and your professor’s requirements and you will get what you need within the given deadline. Submit your application form to EssayShark.com indicating that you need a high quality psychology essay and wait until someone contact you to discuss the details of your order.
You may write psychology essay to understand individuals and groups by establishing general principles and researching specific cases. Another reason to write psychology essay is to understand specific terms or concepts. Experiments and papers in this field essentially have four main objectives:
- To describe what has occurred, to explain why it has occurred
- To predict if it’s going to occur again
- To prevent or change possible outcomes or behaviors.
Table Of Contents
Whether you’re writing an essay on psychology for school or university, the steps are essentially the same. The process goes as follows:
- Understand The Purpose
- Decide On A Topic
- Gather Information
- Craft An Outline
- Understand The Format
- Create A Rough Draft + Edit
- Write Your Final Copy
A Psychology essay might be written to explain or describe a certain concept
Here are some examples:
- What causes anxiety and phobias?
- Autonomic Nervous System
- Behavior Analysis
Another reason students may write a psychology essay is to give a diagnosis. It might be necessary to give a detailed explanation of why they think that person has especially this disease or disorder.
Psychology Essay Topics
If the topic was not assigned by your teacher or professor, you can write about one of these themes.
Write About A Topic Within A Particular Branch Of Psychology
The secret to selecting a good topic for your psychology paper is very simple. Choose a topic that is narrow enough so you can focus all your attention on the subject, but not so narrow that you can barely find any sources or reliable information to write about. For example, you might start thinking that you want to write a paper about a cognitive disorder, but as this topic is too broad, you may narrow it down to something like the Cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease. This particular topic fits the happy medium.
Write About a Disorder
Mental disorders are patterns of behavioral or psychological symptoms that have a strong impact on multiple areas of life. You can write about one of these:
- Bipolar disorders ( a brain disorder that causes rapid mood and energy swings)
- Mania (characterized by feeling over excited)
- Depressive episodes (characterized by feeling of deep sadness, guilt, fatigue, and irritability)
- Anxiety disorders (these type of disorders involve continuous and excessive worry that interferes with daily activities)
- Agoraphobia (fear of public places)
- Social Anxiety Disorder (people with such disorder have powerful anxiety and discomfort about being embarrassed, rejected or humiliated)
- Trauma and Stressor-Related Disorders (commonly caused by a stressful or traumatic event)
- Adjustment disorders (causes as a response to a sudden change such as divorce, job loss, end of a relationship with someone close, or other disappointment or loss)
- Post-Traumatic stress disorder (can develop after a person has experienced a stressful life event)
- Dissociative Disorders
- Dissociative amnesia (temporary loss of memory. Memory loss may last for just a period or even for many years)
- Dissociative identity disorder (just imagine somebody except you in your body)
- Derealization disorder (may be characterized by experiencing a feeling of being outside of your own body (depersonalization) and being disconnected from reality (derealization)
- Eating Disorders
- Anorexia (characterized by restricted food consumption that leads to serious weight loss and very low body weight)
- Pica (craving and consuming non-food substances such as soap, glass, dirt, etc.)
- Sleep-Wake Disorders
- Narcolepsy (irrepressible need to sleep)
- Parasomnias (abnormal behaviors that take place during sleep)
- Insomnia (unable to get enough sleep)
- Disruptive, Impulse-Control
- Kleptomania (inability to control the will to steal)
- Pyromania (when a human being feel fascination with fire and with things that burning)
Choose A Topic Related To Human Cognition
It is a study of mental function, including learning, memory, attention, perception, reasoning, language, conceptual development, and decision-making.
- Moral judgement
Think About Topics Related to Human Development
In this field of study, you might decide on a topic connected to early childhood such as language learning, social learning, etc.
Some other topics you might find interesting:
- Child abuse
- Gender roles
Write About a Book or Academic Journal
You can write a psychology critique paper on a book or an academic journal. For example, you might write a critical analysis of a Karen Horney, The Neurotic Personality of Our Time book.
Analyze One Of Famous Experiment or Study
Famous studies: Some revolutionary experiments have given a lot of insight into the field. When you write a paper on one of these experiments, you can pick an aspect of the experiment or describe it and explain how it works and how it contributed to the field.
- Milgram Obedience Experiment
- Robbers Cave Experiment
- Stanford Prison Study
- Pavlov’s Conditioning Experiment
- The Asch Conformity Experiment
Common Questions & Prompts And How To Answer Them
The nature vs. nurture question is one of the most fundamental questions of the social science. Are we the way we are because of our biology and heredity (nature) or because of our environment (nurture). Many psychologists agree that it is a mixture of both that makes us who we are.
Is psychology a science?
There is no simple answer to this question either, as many debates that psychology should not be seen as a science because of the often-disproved theories and abstract concepts. The counter-argument is that much of the field is based on hard sciences like chemistry and biology. All it comes down to is that the subject can explain Depression and Anxiety with brain scans and blood tests, but it can not explain why teenagers slam doors when they’re angry.
Why I chose psychology?
Often, this question can be asked when you pick Psychology as your major for university study or when you choose to take that class in high school. In your response, show your enthusiasm toward the subject by listing what you genuinely hope to learn and take away from the class.
This topic has to do with developmental psychology. It is a specialized branch used to understand the development of the mind from infancy to adolescence. For this kind of essays, you might want to research Erik Erikson, Vygotsky, and Piaget. You can explore an extremely wide range of topics such as language acquisition, attachment theories, or critical periods of development.
This essay prompt deals with what makes people different as individuals. Common exploration topics are type theories, psychoanalytic theories, and humanistic theories.
Psychology in everyday life
Psychology in everyday life uses practices from a field of study called applied psychology. This field is an umbrella term for these types of psychology: counseling, education, clinical, and medical. There is a lot to choose from here, so if this topic was assigned to you, pick an area that you are most interested in.
Forensic psychology is an intersection between psychology and the justice system. People who work in this field deal with law and trials. Possible broad subjects could include testimony validity, antisocial behavior, and sexual harassment.
Where To Gather Information For Psychology Essay
Read Reliable Literature
Read literature that focuses on the criteria or assignment from your professor to fulfill the reader’s expectations about the quality and the trustworthiness of your paper. There are a lot of literature available online, or in public or university libraries.
Articles published in academic journals deserve special attention they are the primary sources to collect information from for your psychology essay. These articles report on original research which may be at the cutting edge of knowledge production in their field of study. Such materials are usually the best to collect information from.
Depending on a topic you are writing about, there might be a wide range of sources which might be relevant: interviews with experts, films, documentaries, museum exhibitions, newspapers, etc. These are examples of sources which might be relevant.
APA Format in the AP Psychology Essay
When writing an essay about psychology, the American Psychological Association or APA citation style is probably the right referencing format to use for your essay. You can find an extremely detailed overview of the APA format.
Some general guidelines of the APA format essay (psychology) are:
- A clear font (Times New Roman 12pt);
- Double spaced;
- 1” margins;
- An APA style heading on the top of every page (shortened title of your essay: >50 characters);
- Insert a page number on the right.
Keep in mind that for longer essays (+5 pages) the APA essay format suggests you divide your essay into four parts: Title Page, Abstract, Main Body, and References.
AP Psychology Essay Requirements
AP psychology essay questions, otherwise called the “free response” questions constitute 33% of your AP Psych exam grade. These prompts are designed for people who took the AP Psych course and know the material, so do not expect them to be easy. Below are some examples prompts and some tips on how to write an essay during your exam.
AP Psychology exam questions usually include the same kind of structure. You will be given a topic with several subcategories. In the exam, each subcategory must be addressed to score maximum points. Here is an example of a question:
Example: Annie babysat a 5-year-old child one day. She and the child had some pecan pie. Annie was unaware that the child was allergic to most types of nuts and the child’s parents didn’t warn her prior. Annie drove the child to the hospital, but on the way she panics and gets lost. Annie takes a couple of wrong turns. Gladly, the child survives, but months following the accident Annie can’t get behind the wheel, and she no longer likes pecan pie.
- Part A: Explain how each of the following helped Annie drive to the hospital:
- Motor neurons,
- Retinal disparity,
- Procedural memory.
- Part B: Explain how each of the following has lead Annie to have a negative experience:
- Anxiety and panic,
- Conditioned response,
- Aversion Therapy.
When you begin to address this prompt, you will want to look at each aspect of the question. Define the vocabulary words (in this case, Heuristic, Motor neurons, Anxiety, etc.) and then explain how they relate to the example. On the exam itself, you would want to write something like this: “Annie experiences anxiety around driving because she had a stressful experience while driving the child to the hospital” instead of something like “Anxiety is a worry, nervousness, or unease about something” without an explanation or a connection to the prompt. To get full points, strive to address every single bullet point. Again, don’t forget to write in an essay format. Do not answer in bullet points.
Create An Outline
- Theme 1
- Theme 2
- Theme 3
Polishing It Up & Submitting
Congratulations, you are almost there. The last step you need to take is to write a rough draft, edit it, and then turn it into a well-written psychology paper. To ease your life and save you time here are some tips you may use while checking.
Give Yourself a 2 Hours Rest.
It’s hard to be actively involved in writing for a long time, and even harder to spot mistakes after hours of unstoppable writing. That is why it is recommended to leave your paper for an hour or two.
Read It Aloud For At Least 2 Times
This is a very good practice that will allow you to catch all your mistakes such as, mispronounced words, grammatical errors, punctuation mistakes, etc.
Find a Second Pair of Eyes
Ask your siblings or your friends to help you with this. You can ask them to read your essay and give you a feedback whether it’s positive or not. You can even take someone who is not aware of what you are writing about and ask that person to read your paper and grade it.
Essay Writing Advice From Our Professional Team
Dr. Joshua, online essay writer from EssayPro
AP Psychology, although considered a moderately easy AP class, has a tough examination. My advice for you while you’re taking the exam is to read the question thoroughly and answer it fully. By paying attention to each part of the prompt, you have a better chance at getting a better mark. Psychology classes are full of essential vocabulary, so always define these terms in your essay. This will demonstrate your knowledge on the topic. To improve upon that, add examples of those terms. These can be ones you can find in your textbook, online, or from your personal life. Giving examples will prove that you know the material, are able to recognize concepts, and operate them on your own. To show even deeper understanding, you can compare it to other terms or concepts. Be sure to include all other information that pertains to the prompt. Otherwise, your answer cannot receive full points.
So, Psychological Essays are not your Strong Suit.
It is ok, Psychology is not everyone's strength. If you are not sure what to write about in your paper, then consider buying an essay from EssayPro! Live Chat with your essay writer who can help you put together a graphic organizer for your ideas! If you are worried about the quality of your paper or just do not have the time to put something together, request the services of one of our elite writers and receive your completed masterpiece!